COVID-19 in Manila 2021
Updated in November 2021
All over the world, we are all affected by this terrible virus. It shakes a world that had forgotten its fragility, its vulnerability. Sadly, the poorest are likely to suffer the most from this pandemic. In Metro Manila, with more than 25 million people, we could face an explosive situation.
We are certainly living in a time of uncertainty. All over the world, people are adapting to a new “normal” as we try to slow the spread of Covid-19 and protect the most vulnerable. This is no exception in the Philippines, specifically in Manila, where the ANAK-Tnk foundation resides.
In the Philippines, more than 20 months lockdown for children : a world record ! We are now on “lockdown with alert 2”: some measures have been relaxed. Children can go out with vaccinated adults. We will tell you more in the coming weeks : we can’t wait to tell you about the first trip to the park with the kids!
This crisis has dramatic consequences for the Philippines : a high unemployment rate and long term consequences for the economy.
- Our slums programs: a lot of families lost their job because of the pandemic. A huge vital challenge for them as they live paycheck to paycheck and cannot work during this time.
- Our street children programs: ANAK-Tnk currently has 25 centers housing 370 children and 15 elderly abandoned in the streets! Today and since mid-March, they are all confined in our shelters.
- Our slums programs: Many families in the slums are now satisfied with just one meal a day, so we have increased the number of meals distributed: the foundation needs more than 90 sacks of rice (50 kg each) vs 70 sacks before the pandemic. Since October 2021, our educational activities started again but with very limited groups.
- Our street children programs: school is online since March 2020 ! 370 children online: a great challenge for our teachers in order to respect the schedules of the different schools where the children of the foundation are enrolled! We don’t want the crisis to ruin another school year for the children.
- Financial impact: In order to compensate staff that are unable to work, the foundation will continue to provide assistance in an effort to prevent any severe hardships that may ensue in the coming weeks and months ahead. In addition, the foundation will compensate staff working overtime in the centers for days, potentially weeks on end.
- Home atmosphere: Thankfully, there is a great family atmosphere in all the centers. We have adjusted the daily flow of activities, (schoolwork in the morning, sports and arts in the afternoon…). We also just launched a large contest of songs and dance for all our centers via an internet broadcast.
As you can see, we will continue to care for our children and dedicated staff members, many who are among the poorest, so that they can continue to care for the hundreds of children that depend on us. Without our devoted staff, the foundation cannot exist.
Our needs are always great, understandably more so now than ever. During this global lockdown, here and abroad, all the fundraising events or partnerships are pending or cancelled. A huge impact for us as ANAK-Tnk, since 20 years, has no governmental funds and rely entirely on donations and sponsors.
Please consider sharing this info with others so that they might be aware of the needs of our neighbors, both near and far. Our children and employees depend on this generous support. We must remain united in our efforts to care for the most vulnerable during these times.